Hawaiian poke bowl restaurant opens in Greenville Thursday
By Jane Hudson
A hip Hawaiian food trend is arriving in Greenville Thursday when E Poke Bowl opens in a retail space at The Boundary, 250 Reade Circle. Owner is Jimmy Zheng.
Okay, what's poke (pronounced poh-KAY).
It literally means "to cut crosswise into pieces," and it's a kind of deconstructed sushi: chunks of marinated seafood or chicken (some raw and some cooked) in a bowl with rice, vegetables or fruits.
Think of it as a burrito bowl with a tropical twist.
E Poke has created some signature bowls, with ingredients that combine "cooked and raw ingredients, hot and cold all in one bowl," the website states.
Signature bowls include:
* Classic Bowl ($9.75) includes tuna, red onion, hijiki seaweed, cucumber, edamame, avocado, green onion and sesame seeds.
* Salmon Love Bowl ($11.75) features salmon, mango, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, spring mix, sweet and hot sauce, eel and sesame seeds.
* Rainbow Bowl ($12.75) is made with tuna, salmon, yellowtail, cucumber, avocado, pineapple in ginger wasabi shoyu topped with tempura crisps and seaweed.
* Phoenix Bowl ($9.75) is comprised of chicken, cucumber, red onion, edamame, carrot, cilantro mixed with classic shoyu sauce topped with green onion and sesame seeds.
A vegetarian bowl is among several other signature options.
Or you can customize your own bowl --
* starting with a base of white rice, brown rice or spring mix; * selecting a protein like organic tofu, chicken, spicy tuna, shrimp, or crab meat ($9.75 for two scoops and $12.75 for three scoops); * adding mix-ins like mango, cucumber, tomatoes, pineapple, carrots and corn; * choosing a sauce or two, like spicy mayo, sweet and hot, ginger wasabi shoyu or miso glaze; * picking toppings like pickled ginger, green onion, jalapeno, radish, and Hawaiian salt; and finally * crowning it all with some crunch, including sesame seeds, seaweed, ground peanuts, and onion crisps.
(Photo is from E Poke Bowl's Facebook page)
250 Reade Circle at The Boundary
Open11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sundays-Thursdays and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays
Order online at www.epokebowl.com or call 252-751-0500.
Delivery is available.
Jane Welborn Hudson, a native of Greenville, wrote The Daily Reflector's Hot Dish restaurant column for 12 years and the Greensboro News & Record's Short Orders restaurant column for 8 years. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.