At Bad Daddy's Burger Bar, you can order a gourmet burger or chopped salad from the menu -- or select from a wide variety of options to devise an original burger or one-of-a-kind chopped salad that appeals to your unique taste buds.
The full-service restaurant is scheduled to open Oct. 9 at 709 S.E. Greenville Blvd., beside Publix Supermarket.
The restaurant chain's philosophy is "to prepare simple foods –- such as the quintessential American dish, the hamburger -- with culinary passion."
The menu features oversize gourmet burgers that range in price from $9.75 for BD's All-American with ketchup, yellow mustard, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onions and pickles to $13.75 for Bad Ass burger featuring a 10-ounce beef patty, house-made American cheese, buttermilk-fried bacon, horseradish mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles.
The chef-designed menu is creative, but you can invent the burger of your dreams, with a base price of $9.75:
* Select a patty: 7-ounce beef patty, buttermilk fried chicken breast, grilled chicken breast, turkey burger or black bean burger or, for an additional charge, tuna burger, buffalo burger or local N.C. grass-fed beef patty.
* Pick a bread: brioche bun, multi-grain bun, lettuce wrap, Texas toast, rye toast or gluten-free bun.
* Lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles are presented on the side.
* Add a complimentary condiment, including arugula, Chipotle ranch, house-made thousand island, Buffalo sauce, spicy garlic ketchup, and Poblano pepper mayo.
* For $1 more, choose a cheese, like American, blue cheese crumbles, brie, cream cheese, feta, fresh mozzarella, pimento cheese, Swiss and more.
* For an additional 75 cents each, pile on a topping, including avocado, apple-bacon barbecue sauce, grilled onions, guacamole, house slaw, mushrooms, onion straws, peanut butter, pesto, pineapple, truffle aioli and more.
* Kick it up a notch with premium toppings -- for $1.50 each, like Applewood smoked bacon, fried egg, Daddy's chili, sauteed wild mushrooms, jalapeno bacon and rosemary ham.
* Super premium toppings, which are $3 each, are buttermilk fried bacon, fire-braised pulled pork and Boar's Head Pastrami.
* Then pick one complimentary side: hand-cut french fries, sweet potato fries, house-made potato chips, house slaw, tater tots or fresh fruit (substitute onion rings for $1; substitute a small create-your-own salad or cup of Daddy's chili for $2).
Likewise, the menu features chopped salads put together by the chefs, including BBQ Chicken and Stella's Greek -- or you can create your own version by selecting from a choice of greens and adding 7 ingredients and one dressing. (Bad Daddy's suggests 4 toppings, 1 cheese, 1 fruit and 1 crunch).
* Greens options are romaine, spinach, mixed greens and iceberg lettuce.
* Toppings include black beans, broccoli, chickpeas, Kalamata olives, radishes, corn, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes.
* Fruit choices are apples, blueberries (seasonal), grapes, mandarin oranges, pineapple and strawberries.
*Crunch selections are croutons, peanuts, tortilla stripes, walnut and wanton strips.
* Cheeses include American, Parmesan, Pepper Jack and Feta.
* Dressing picks are avocado ranch, balsamic vinaigrette, blue cheese, BBQ Ranch, Caesar, Chiptole ranch, Greek lemon oregano vinaigrette, honey mustard, far-free ranch, peanut soy and traditional ranch.
* Proteins may be added for an extra charge.
Bad Daddy's also offers hand-spun milk shakes -- from basics like chocolate, strawberry and vanilla to creative choices like Chunky Elvis (creamy peanut butter, chocolate, banana and walnuts) and BD Snickered (chocolate, peanuts and caramel). And, of course, you can create your own milkshake, too.
A full bar offers a selection of craft micro-brew beers from regional breweries and handcrafted cocktails.
Bad Daddy's locations embrace "a high-energy atmosphere," according to the company website.
The interior of Greenville's new Bad Daddy's Burger Bar. (Photo above from 25Buzz)
The interior of the local restaurant is a mix of rustic and industrial, with posters from concerts and movies hanging on the walls. There's seating at tables, in booths and banquettes, and at the bar.
A large glass "garage door" rolls up to allow access to a covered patio for dining.
The first Bad Daddy's Burger Bar opened in 2007 on East Boulevard in Charlotte. The Greenville location is the 25th restaurant in the chain, now based in Colorado.
Hours are 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sundays-Thursdays and 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
(Top photo of Bad Daddy's Burger Bar food from the company Facebook page. .Bottom photo of the Greenville location of Bad Daddy's Burger Bar, still under construction, by 252Buzz)
Jane Welborn Hudson, a native of Greenville, wrote The Daily Reflector's Hot Dish restaurant column for 12 years and the Greensboro News & Record's Short Orders restaurant column for 8 years. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.