The 47th annual Grifton Shad Festival -- one of the longest-running festivals in the state -- will be held in April in the southern Pitt County town of Grifton.
Most of the events -- which are outdoors and free -- will be held April 20-23.
Grifton is on N.C. 11 and N.C. 118, halfway between Greenville and Kinston. A free shuttle service to and from the festival site will be offered. Signs will mark the way.
Saturday, April 8
* 7:30 p.m.: The Miss Grifton Shad Queen Pageant in the Grifton School Auditorium. Young women between the ages of 14 and 18 will compete for the title. Contact Susan Howard at 252-917-2622
Monday, April 10
* 7 p.m.: Fishy Tales (Lying) Competition in the Grifton School Media Center. Admission is $1 per person; proceeds will be used to defray the costs of proceeds of books to be given to the Grifton School children who participate.
Wednesday, April 19
* 5-9 p.m.: Inner Show Rides carnival rides open; $18 wrist band night
Thursday, April 20
* 5-9 p.m.: Inner Show carnival rides open; $20 wrist band night
* 7 p.m.: The Gizzard Shad Pageant, a womanless beauty pageant, will be emceed by John Moore in the Grifton School Auditorium. Contact Christin Nichol at 252-531-4399 or Julie Monroe at 252-841-0918.
Friday, April 21
* 7:30- 11 p.m.: Street dance with country music by Bryan Mayer and Silver Wings at the Grifton Depot
Saturday, April 22
* 8:30 a.m.: Grifton 5K Mud Run/Obstacle Course, 1170 Wiley Gaskins Road, will feature 10-plus unique and challenging obstacles. Online registration is $40 before April 3, $50 thereafter.
* 9 a.m.: A Car and Truck Show will be held on the eastern end of downtown Queen Street. Registration is $20 per car. Awards will be presented at 1 p.m. For more information, call Johnny Hoover at 252-229-1179.
* 10:15 a.m.: Carolina Girls dance performance at Town Commons
* 10:30 a.m.: Grifton Shad Festival Parade. Grand marshal will be the mascot of the new Down East Wood Ducks minor league baseball team based in Kinston.
* 10:30 a.m.: Sky High Skyler Stilt Walker & Juggler performance at Town Commons
* 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: 3 Wishes & a Hero characters walking throughout the festival
* Noon-2 p.m.: Pamlico Sound Machine performs Motown, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson songs at the Grifton Depot
* Noon-4 p.m.: Corn Hole Tournament on the empty lot on McCrae Street across from the Grifton Depot. Boards and bags will be provided. Cost is $30 per team. Contact Galen Treble at 252-939-5438 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or register between 9-11 a.m. on the day of the event. Winners get cash prizes.
* Noon: Carolina Heat Martial Arts performance at Town Commons
* Noon: Captain Jim magic show at Town Commons at Town Commons
* Noon-4 p.m.: DJ Justin Rouse playing Beach, Boogie & Blues at Town Commons
* Noon-3 p.m.: Purple the Clown at Town Commons
* 1 p.m.: Circus Stella circus performance at Town Commons
* 1 p.m.: Shimmy Shakers dance performance at Town Commons
* 1:30 p.m.: Protown BMX bike riders performance followed by a free "Ride with the Pros" bike clinic (bikes and safety gear provided; bring your own is encouraged) at Town Commons
* 2-6 p.m.: Gospel Music concert at Mattie's Mini park with Gonzales Sights & Sound, Greene County Male Chorus, Asia, and The Kingdom Builders
* 2 p.m.: Captain Jim magic show at Town Commons
* 2:30-4:30 p.m.: 8 Track Band performs classic rock music at the Grifton Depot
* 3-4 p.m.: Shagging on the Street dancing at Town Commons
* 3 p.m.: Circus Stella circus performance at Town Commons
* 3:15 p.m.: Protown BMX bike riding performance at Town Commons
* 4 p.m.: Captain Jim magic show at Town Commons
* 6-7 p.m.: Music by Tony LeFavi in the Beer Garden
* 6 p.m.: Captain Jim magic show at Town Commons
* 6:30 p.m.: Sky High Skyler Stilt Walker & Juggler performance at Town Commons
* 7:30 p.m.-midnight: A free street dance will feature the music of Dakota Blue and Bill Lyerly at the Grifton Depot
Sunday, April 23
* 9 a.m.: Community church service at Creekside Overlook Park near the boat landing. Bring your own chair.
* 12:30-1:30 p.m.: The Still Shakers Band perform bluegrass music at the Grifton Depot
* 1 p.m.: Grifton Shad Festival Kayak and Canoe Races through a marked course for youth and adults at Lake Benjamin, 1170 Wiley Gaskins Road. Entrance fee is $5 for kayakers and $10 for canoers. Contact Dew Burch at 252-524-5138
* 2-2:45 p.m.: Green Grass Cloggers dancers perform with the Sandy Ridge Ramblers Band at the Grifton Depot
* 3 p.m.: Andro C Brown performs Contemporary Christian/Gospel music at the Grifton Depot