A number of competitive 5K races, mud runs and recreational 1-mile Fun Runs conducted by Run the East have been scheduled in the Greenville area in April.
Run the East is a professional race timing and management service with online registration.
Register or find out more details at www.runtheeast.com.
Saturday, April 1
* 9 a.m.: Patriot Mud Run at East Carolina University's West Research Campus, 1157 VOA Site C Road.
There will be a 3-mile and a 4-mile option, along with a 1-mile Fun Run. Heats will begin every 15 minutes.
Spectators are welcome.
The event is hosted by ECU's Army ROTC Pirate Battalion and supports Eagle Rock Camp, a nonprofit therapeutic camp for military families.
Registration is $35 for the Mud Run and $20 for the Fun Run.
* 9 a.m.: Sugar Drop 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run beginning at the Town Common, 100 E. First St., and continue along the Greenville Greenway.
Entry is $35 for the 5-K and $20 for the Fun Run.
All proceeds will be donated to Camp Needles in the Pines, a summer camp for youth with Type 1 diabetes.
A race expo at the Town Common will include bouncy houses, food and vendors from the diabetes community.
* 6:30 p.m.: Tonight, yes Tonight! 1K and 5K beginning at Moe's Southwest Grill, 610 Red Banks Road.
This twilight run, with glow accessories, will raise money for summer camp trips for the Young Life ministry in Pitt County.
Cost is $20 for the 1K (registration ends March 29) and $25 for the 5K.
Saturday, April 8
* 8:45 and 9 a.m.: Pirate Nurse 5K and Kid's Fun Run at the East Carolina University Health Sciences Campus, 600 Moye Blvd.
A free Kid's Fun Run, for runners ages 3-8, will begin at 8:45 a.m. Registration is required.
The 5K will begin at 9 a.m. Registration is $25; $15 for ECU students.
All proceeds benefit ECU nursing students through the ECU Nursing Senior Class Scholarship Fund and the Linda Pynn Nurse Practitioner Scholarship Fund.
Sunday, April 9
* 3 p.m.: Hornet Hustle 5K sponsored by Chicod School.
The race will begin at University Church of God, 2215 B Stokes Road, and continue through Woodmoor subdivision.
Registration is $30.
Saturday, April 15
* 8:30 a.m.: Dr. Abdul's Memorial 5K Walk/Run at Boyd Lee Park, 5184 Corey Road, Winterville, sponsored by the family of the late Dr. Hakeem Abdul Karim and the nonprofit Revelation Peak Performance Track Club of Greenville NC.
Advance online registration is $25; $30 on race day.
Proceeds support the Dr. Hakeem Abdul Karim Scholarship, given to a qualifying senior who will be attending college.
Saturday, April 22
* 8 a.m.: Pirate Alumni 5K Road Race and 1-Mile Fun Run, Cotanche street and Reade Circle in downtown Greenville
The event will take place rain or shine.
Registration, limited to 700 participants, is $25 in advance and $30 on race day.
All proceeds benefit East Carolina Alumni Association scholarships.
* 8:30 a.m.: Grifton 5K Mud Run/Obstacle Course, 1170 Wiley Gaskins Road, Grifton.
The run will feature 10-plus unique and challenging obstacles.
After the race, there will be free food, beverages and/or cold beer.
Teams are welcome to participate.
Online registration is $40 before April 3, $50 thereafter.
The event is sponsored by Greenville's Uptown Brewing Company. Proceeds help support community Shad Festival events.
Saturday, April 29
* 9 a.m.: Eastern Run/Walk for Autism, 105 E. First St. at the Town Common
Registration is $25 for the 5K run and $15 for the walk; participants may recruit family members, friends and coworkers to form a team and raise donations.
Proceeds will fund local programs of the Autism Society of North Carolina.
Photo from Elmhurst 5K by 252Buzz