Spazz Fest is March 23-26
An incredible lineup of musicians and performance artists with an eclectic range of styles are on the bill for Greenville's Spazz Fest VIII music and arts festival this week. Concerts and events will be held at various venues around Greenville March 23-26. Organizers again have put together a multi-layered event spotlighting creativity in music, art, literature, even entrepreneurship. The festival concerts include such diverse genres as rock, jazz, funk, punk, bluegrass, experimental, rap, and acoustic. Many of the events have no admission fee, while others cost $5-10 at the door. Get to events early to avoid waiting in line outside.
A Golden Ticket 4-Day Pass for $50 offers access to all shows, events, after-parties and drink specials.
Here's the schedule (note that lineups may change):
Wednesday, March 22
Thursday, March 23
Friday, March 24
* 3-6 p.m.: The Singer-Songwriter Round Robin featuring Jessy Esterline, Richard Benjamin, Rebekah Marie, Briana Brown, Ray Wolve Luna, Katelyn June and more, with special guest participants Fletcher VanVliet of On the Water and Aleksander Martray of Grandchildren at Jarvis Street Bottle Shop (Free admission)
* 6 p.m.-midnight: Cosmic Spazz Fest IV with 15-minute sets by experimental/noise/fringe artists from the East Coast at Trollingwood Taproom and Brewery. Performers include Cann"d, Heat Death, Phoenix Auto Group, Bryce Eiman, Dendera Bloodbath, Proxevita (MAMA), Joules, SumbGlitch, Talons, RaNT KisSy, Bitter, Inc., Jim Capps, The Waking Life, Shifter Drifter, Electric Bird Noise, subterrene, Cornelius F. Van Stafrin III, Pitty Bates, Reunion, IWISHIWASDEAD, Ty Lake, Big Ed, and Spookstina. (No admission, but bring money for donations to support the artists or purchase merchandise)
* 8 p.m.-2 a.m.: The Jazz Jam, Spazz Fest Edition featuring performances by Eddie Sids and David Dondero and jam sessions with 5-15 players, led by East Carolina University jazz studies students at Fire American Tavern ($5 admission) [During the Jazz Jam portion of the night, audience members are welcome to join the performance; amps, drums, upright bass and electric bass will be available for anybody who wants to come up and play a tune or two]
Saturday, March 25
* 3-6 p.m.: Spazz Fest Pitch Competition provides an open venue to pitch your business idea for prizes, practice delivering your pitch, and to learn and network from other early-stage entrepreneurs. Entries are due by Wednesday, March 22, and finalists who will be invited to deliver a live 3-minute pitch of their idea will be notified by Thursday, March 23. Click the link above to register and for more details.
* 6:30-10 p.m.: S/F 8: Night Three featuring a Foiler reunion show and music by Prince Daddy and the Hyena, Youth League, and First Marriage at Crave Greenville Restaurant and Bar ($7 admission) * 7-9 p.m.: Matthew Silver Does Greenville, NC with viral video star and performance artist Matthew Silver, This Saxophone Kills Fascists, and The Love Dimension at Trollingwood Taproom and Brewery ($5 admission)
* 9 p.m.-2 a.m.: S/F VIII Night Three with Tymellord and Friends featuring Oak City Slums, Tennis Rodman, LAVIER, and Man Rabbit along with a Rap Round-Robin with Richard Benjamin Faulkner, Man Rabbit, P.T. Burnem, Holden McOwen, Blake Tyler and Tymellord with visuals by Jacob Burke from The UNDRGRND at Trollingwood Taproom and Brewery ($7 admission)
Sunday, March 26
* 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: Greenville Vinyl Record Show (Spazz Fest Edition) with thousands of records for sale from all genres and decades, along with some CDs and music memorabilia at Greenville Masonic Temple (Free entry)
* 3-6 p.m.: Love Medicine Meditation, and Into the Wild: Yoga movement, meditation and sound experience lead by yoga instructor and movement therapy artist Kristen O'Keefe and the earth folk sounds of Lobo Marino and DJ Tymellord at Greenville Town Common. No yoga experience is necessary. (Free admission)
* 4-11 p.m.: Punk Rock Matinee with a barbecue pot luck and outside acoustic acts Mike Defendant, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME JOHN, and Katrina Jo until 6:30 p.m., followed by Punk Rawk with Some Kind of Nightmare, 49/Short, DarlingFascist Bullyboys, and Safe Word at Player's Retreat. ($5 for entry and food)
A Spazz Fest VIIGolden Ticket 4-Day Pass for $50 offers access to all shows, events, after-parties and drink specials.